Sunday, December 21, 2008

On to the next peak...


I could list all the excuses for over a month between blog entries, but there's no point. I'm sure it's the same story for everyone.


This weekend marked the one-year anniversary of meeting Elijah for the first time. We spent some time watching video of our first trip, and just thinking about how far we have come and how far Elijah has come in that time. Wow, what changes. This time of the year will forever bring back memories of Russia. The four amazingly hectic, stressful, enlightening, and life-changing days we spent with the Franks, where when we parted we felt we had known them for a lifetime and knew that we would remain friends for at least that long. And when the Christmas songs start to play and a crispness fills the air, I am reminded of my firsthand meeting with God in a Siberian orphanage. I can honestly tell you that God is more real to me today than He ever has been before or I ever dreamed He could be. And it's all thanks to a little boy who showed me that faith is not best expressed with words, but with actions. For the first time I heard the voice of God, clear and unmistakeable, speak to me and I followed. I followed half-way across the world, and when I met Elijah I heard God say "Here I am". It was like being blind for 30 years and finally being able to see.


And it's crazy. Our jouney has been like climbing a mountain. But it's not as if when we brought Elijah home, God said "Nice job. You made it to the top. Have a seat, sit back and enjoy the view." Instead, He has said "Nice job. You've made it to the top. Take a look over there. See that peak off in the distance. Yes, the one higher than the one we are standing on. The one with the jagged rocks and the sheer edges. That looks like fun. What do you say?" And like an adrenaline-laced mountain climber, I say "Why not? Bring it on!"


One year ago I truly tasted God and found that He was good. Yet I have been left with a thirst for more. And as our life continues to take twists and turns, hills and valleys, I am confident that God has so much more in store for me and my family. There is a huge world out there in need. In physical need (poverty, starvation, slavery) as well as in spiritual need (they need to know Jesus). And He has made it clear to me and my family that there is still work to be done. We've only scratched the surface. This one little boy named Mikhail (Elijah) was only the starting point for us. May He be glorified in every "next peak" that we scale. And I know we'll reach the top because we have the only Guide who knows the way.


Merry Christmas to all!

J

No comments: