Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Heading out to Sea (the last entry from Russia)



Sunday got us out again sightseeing. We wanted to take the typical “In front of St. Basil’s Cathedral” picture of Elijah, so we took the subway to the heart of Moscow to Red Square. When we arrived, we all realized that we were horribly underdressed for the occasion (it’s June for Pete’s sake!). We decided to cut our losses, buying some quick souvenirs and then hopping the train back to the hotel.

As is the case with Moscow weather (we soon realized), by afternoon it was beautiful and warm. So we headed back to Red Square and got the necessary snapshots and video. Pizza for dinner (again, and by Sara’s wishes the last time) and some play time in the lobby with the boys.

Monday morning started with catching our first glimpse on our boys back home on the webcam since we have been here. It was absolutely wonderful! We exchanged goofy faces to each other, and it was just like being in the room with them. Just seeing them gives me the recharge to push through these last few days. Later that morning, Dennis and I were off to the Russian Consulate to register our children (a process we found out we could have done at home, but our agency is one of the few that require it get done here…we could have gone home on Saturday otherwise). But, as we have said all along, Misha is the child God had in mind for us, and this is what it takes to get him home. Who are we to doubt the plan God has for this child?

Sara, Elijah, and I decided to head out on our own in the afternoon to Arbat Street again to pick up the last few souvenirs that we wanted to bring home. It was such a wonderful day. The weather was beautiful, and Elijah was just at peace during the trip. We were a family, the three of us, and it felt great! I can’t wait to experience that as a family of 6 soon.

Tuesday dawned with big sightseeing plans for our last day. It was supposed to be cold on Monday, and warmer on Tuesday. Instead, it was the other way around. We arrived to Red Square under overcast skies and leaning into a stiff wind. But nothing was going to deter me from my plans. We walked the perimeter of the Kremlin, along the Moscow River, and to a huge Russian Orthodox Church called the Cathedral of Christ our Savior. We went inside, and it was absolutely breathtaking. Service was in progress, and the smell of incense mixed with chanting and singing in Russian and breathtaking colors was truly memorable.

Later to a statue of Peter the Great keeping watch over the River and back to the Kremlin to see the changing of the guard at the tomb of the unknown soldier. No time to tour the Kremlin though (we’ll have to do that next time when we are retired, 65, and touring Russia for the memories).

That catches up to me writing this entry right now while Misha takes his afternoon nap. We head to the airport tomorrow morning for our early afternoon flight back home. It’s hard to believe that we have spent a month here in Russia (don’t get me wrong, it has felt like a month and then some). It’s just weird how I have found myself adapting to the culture and language in such a short period of time. How I am finding sights to be familiar, and I am getting comfortable maneuvering through the city. I miss home and I can’t wait to get on that plane and head back to my boys. But I thank God for the opportunity to experience something so far beyond anything I ever would have thought or dreamed I would do. And I couldn’t have done it without Him. For the last two years, He has remained faithful through all the ups and downs (at times it seemed like more downs than ups), and I have experienced His hand working so tangibly every step of the way. It took bringing a little orphan boy home to our family for me to truly realize how much God is at work in our lives, and how much he wants to do in our lives if we just give him the opportunity.

I am a holder at heart. I like to be under and in control of situations. Yet that’s not what it is about. There is one out there who is stronger than I am. There is one out there who is smarter than I am. There is one out there who sees the big picture, from beginning to end and everything in between. And over the past 2 ½ years I have fought him for control of this adoption. And every time I couldn’t hold on anymore, he showed that he had a hold all along. I am again reminded of a comment by C.S. Lewis

"We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased."

I have been playing in the mud my whole life, but I am happy to say that I have stepped out in faith and followed my Father to the sea. I have not arrived yet, but I have caught glimpses of that shimmering horizon over the hills and on top of the valleys. I am a lot closer than I have ever been. I can smell the salt and hear the waves in the distance. And I know for sure that I don’t want to go back my slum. I know that there are many hills and valleys that stand in front of me before I reach the sea, but my Father’s leading the way, and I trust him with my life…

JP

No comments: