Tuesday, June 24, 2008

That Smile...


Tomorrow will be two weeks since we have been home. Things are progressing well with Elijah. He is continuing to get used to life in the Park household. Every day brings new experiences for both us and him, and we get continued glimpses into the depth of who he is. He is a smart little boy (and a little sly) with a fun-loving and sweet temprament. We were always told that most of these children know how to work the system, and Elijah is no exception. The other day my parents were visiting for the weekend. Elijah had just finished going into the bathroom when mommy told him not to, at which time he proceeded to air-mail the toys he was holding into the other room. He was sitting on mommy's lap taking a time-out (complete with fussing and much shifting) when my father came in from outside. I was sitting across the room, and proceeded to watch this distraught child, crushed by the weight of his terrible consequence (notice sarcasm here) look up at my father, and flash the most flirtatous smile I have ever seen. I never realized one small smile could say say so much. "Dear man. Please save me from my inhumane captor. I'm completely innocent. Would this face lie to you?" I must say I was impressed. I didn't know whether to be concerned or congratulate the boy on an Oscar-worthy performance.

I tell this story, not to be negative (he is adjusting amazingly well and is the sweetest little boy), but because it amazes me how comlex this little boy can be. (Side note: today was his first day without a single fit! Yeah!!!) Both Sara and I understand that coming from the orphanage, this is what he has had to do all along to get his needs met. And he does not yet realize that here at home, he's going to get his needs met no matter what. He doesn't have to perform for us. He doesn't have to bribe us. We are here for him, 100%, forever.

Our extended family have truly taken to Elijah. I fell in love with him from the moment I met him, but you never know how others will feel when the time finally comes. I am happy to say that he has stolen the hearts of everyone he has met.

Elijah is truly an amazing, special, and wonderful little boy.

When he smiles, I am filled with indescribeable joy.
When he laughs, I am moved to tears.
When he makes goofy faces at me, he steals my heart.
When he plays, I am filled with peace.
When he runs to me at the door after work, I feel that feeling only a father knows.
When he lies peacefully asleep, I fall in love with him all over again.

JP

No comments: