Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Perspective (Part 1)

Perspective.

We all fall into the same trap. Whether it's our home, our job, our family, our possessions, we all at some point in time find ourselves ensnared in the jaws of the covet trap. We know that it's a sin, yet we all do it. Oh, we won't call it that. We will call it an "observation", or we will think that since what we want is not an actual "thing", then it's not coveting.

In adoption circles, this can also play itself out. Over the past six months or so I have felt that the theme the Lord has placed upon my heart has been "suffering". I know that our adoption road has had its share of this, but more than this I know that we are not the only ones. I have felt like I need to drop the vail a little. This adoption thing is hard! I want to tell people that they are not the only ones having a rough go of it. And it's not because they are doing anything wrong. They are not failing. Sin is to blame, and we are doing the best we can to pick up the pieces and make a makeshift mosaic out of a broken masterpiece.

So be careful as an adoptive parent when you covet another's "normal" family. You have responded to a very high calling. And no matter how much you may question yourself or the family that you are providing your adoptive child, you are giving them hope. You are giving them a fighting chance. And after watching the YouTube special on Russian orphans yesterday, I can unequivocally say that it is better than the alternative.

Keep your perspective...

JP

(to be continued)

1 comment:

3 became 4... said...

So true... something I must watch for every day. Thanks for the reminder.