Sunday, January 29, 2012

Perspective (Part 2)

While our living in a travel trailer idea is part of a greater plan for the future, I sometimes struggle with the idea that while most, if not all of our friends and family are living in homes (some albeit very modest, others extremely nice to anyone's standards), we are cramped in a very tight space limited to mostly the essentials. It is easy to let the envy bug creep into my head, and I have to remind myself that this is all a part of the next leg of our journey.

The other day the boys rode their bikes while I ran the bike path from the campsite along the river in Oceanside. As we were preparing to turn around and head back, Benjamin pointed out a man sleeping under the bridge that stretched over the river. Later that day as I was walking back from the dumpster to the trailer and feeling a little down about our dwelling arrangements, I remembered the man sleeping under the bridge. At that moment I began to make a mental list of the things that I had that that man didn't.

A roof over my head
Heat
Air Conditioning
A warm bed
Electricity
Running water
Refrigerator
Couch
Table for meals
Television
Clean clothes
Company

Then I remembered that what my trailer has to offer is better than what the majority of the world has. To that man under the bridge, this trailer would be "living the high life". He would have given anything to trade places with me, even for just a day. What am I complaining about.

Don't get me wrong. I would never try to lessen the struggles that anyone is going through. But when we place them on the scale compared to how things could possibly be, which side tips? While sometimes this life can present some challenges (like learning the hard way that regular toilet paper doesn't dissolve in your black tank as quickly as the special RV stuff), my challenges are pretty light compared to the challenges many face in this world. I must be content with what I have, because I really so have it pretty good...

JP

No comments: