Thursday, February 21, 2008

It Is Well....

It is with the sincerest of hearts that I write this blog, and I hope that everyone who has helped us along during this process, either financially or prayerfully, will read this, for it greatly concerns you. From day one, we placed this adoption in the Lord's hands and said, "Thy will be done." Yet, we did not embark on this journey foolheartedly, assuming that we would ride on the backs of others to the end. We knew that we would need some help, but we also had a plan of how we were going to contribute ourselves. I must say that things have not turned out the way we had expected. To add to this, for the last six months the struggling economy has extended to my work, and I have been unable to make enough money even to meet our monthly expenses, let alone put extra money toward the adoption.

Today was an especially stressful day as we sat down with our montly finances, and somewhere between cringing and vomiting we tried to come up with a plan. I must say, this wasn't the first of such sessions, and it promises not to be the last. Reading this, some might be saying "There must be a bright side coming......right?". Read on. This session ended much the same as every other session, on our knees in prayer that somehow we would make it long enough to bring Mikhail home, even if that means Top Ramen and Kraft (no, even generic) Mac & Cheese for the next year, however long it takes. With no real plan evident, short of a windfall from the fine state of California and its lottery (I guess I need to buy a ticket for that to happen), we continued on with our day. As I was driving in my car, thoughts began to enter my head (not the first time) that maybe these past six months have been a sign that we can't do this. "We need to stop." "There's no way that we are going to be able to bring him home." "You need to look at this reasonably." And then I got the mail an hour ago, at least hoping it would hold our new marriage license copies we've been waiting for. Thankfully, that was there. But also in it was a check from a wonderful family member for $320 to go towards the adoption, complete with a beautiful picture and an encouraging note saying "My prayers are certainly with you all! It's only by His strength, grace and direction that this has fallen into place. We praise Him!"

I can honestly say that this is not the first time that this has happened. There have been countless time during this process that we have said, "I don't think we can afford to continue on. It's not working out the way we had planned it." Yet each time, God has provided us with the same response, usually in the form of another donation saying "Look, I am in charge. You said 'My will be done', and that's exactly what I am doing. Don't quit, keep going. This is not yours, it is mine." And we are, once again, humbled in His presence.

Our intention from the beginning was never to draw this many people into our journey. Yet, obviously, it has been God's plan all along. And if the last six months have taught us anything, it's that it is still His plan. God loves the people He created, whether they realize it or not. And He wants all people to experience life to the fullest the way that He knows we can. And all through the Bible Jesus talks about our call to "experience the kingdom of heaven" through truly loving our neighbor and through selfless acts such as "taking care of widows and orphans". I am reminded of James 1:27, "This is pure and undefiled religion in the sight of our God and Father, to visit orphans and widows in their distress, and to keep oneself unstained by the world." God has obviously wanted to use our adoption journey as an opportunity for many to share in His work and experience His goodness firsthand, and some for the first time. And to the many that have chosen to be used by God to help bring this one small child to a home, to "visit (an) orphan....in their distress", I truly thank you from the bottom of my heart. I'm not sure how many more people He is going to involve or how exactly He is going to "work the numbers", but I can honestly say that even though so much of what has happened over the past six months has pushed us to the breaking point in more ways than one, He has never wavered in providing specifically for this adoption. Not once. And it is to Him and to you, our family and friends, that I say "thank you" and may the Lord bless you in measure far beyond how you have blessed us. Please keep praying for us and especially for Mikhail. If he only knew who was in his corner. I can't wait to tell him his story someday......

JP

"Whatever my lot, though hast taught me to say, it is well, it is well with my soul."

1 comment:

Deb said...

I can't remember if I've ever commented on your blog but I've been following for awhile now.

I'm so glad that God blessed you in exactly the time you needed it. That's how it has happened for us all along this journey.

Have you applied for any grants. I know a lot of people think they won't be approved for one but it's just another chance for God to show His hand at work in our adoptions. We received one from Shoahannah's Hope.

I'll be praying for more blessings coming your way to bring Mikhail home.