Sunday, February 24, 2008

Little Blessings (We lost the race to Olive Garden)

We decided a while back that we needed to buy a crib for Mikhail when he gets here. The bed we have is too big for him to start off in. Our previous crib we had was used when we got it, and went through three boys after that. Needless to say, there wasn't much left of it by the end. I don't even think that we sold it at one of our garage sales. I think it ended up in the trash can (what was left of it). We weren't terribly excited about throwing down $150-200 (that's for the Target special) for a new one, and even the used ones we found in classifieds were $75-100.
My parents were down for the weekend, and we left to have lunch. As is usual when the boys and I get in one car and my father gets in the other car, we have a friendly race to wherever it is we are headed. Now, let me start off by saying that I don't recommend this to all you kids at home reading this. Trust me, we're in a mini-van. How crazy can it be, really? Anyway, since my father took one way, we decided to take an alternate route to the restaurant. Understand, we never would have been driving this route except that I am a sucker when my kids yell from the backseat "Beat Grandpa! Beat Grandpa!". And I knew there would be no way for me to pass him if we went the same way.
After taking a turn on two wheels (ok, use your imagination), we went wizzing by a garage sale. Through the blur of the passing scenery, Sara spoted a white rail. "They have a crib!", she says. We quickly determine that our need for a crib outweighs the bragging rights of beating Grandpa to Olive Garden (just barely), so we screech to a halt, whip a u-turn and head back the way we came (ok, I've pumped up the drama a bit).
Sara gets out while I stay in the car with the boys. I see her ask for the price, and she turns to me holding up all ten fingers. I am trying to see how many times she is flashing ten fingers. Does she mean $100? So I get out. She whispers to me "It's $10." I say with complete honesty that I am not the optimist of the family (though I'm getting better, praise God). So my immediate response was "What's wrong with it?". But upon examination, it looked like any old used crib. Paint chipped in a few spots, a few dents, and a small rip in the mattress. Nothing that a little sandpaper and a little paint can't repair. Before they have a chance to change their minds, we produced the cash and loaded it up, giddy with excitement. (Correction: Sara was giddy. I, of course, kept my cool with that "It happens everyday" look on my face)
I am truly humbled at God's provision for us. Thanks to this adoption process, I am more keenly aware than ever of God's subtle working in our lives. And I no longer take for granted those little blessings. There are no coincidences in this life if you believe that God uses all things as opportunities to bring Him glory.
We may have lost the race to Olive Garden, but I like to think that we are moving up in the pack as we "run with perseverence the race that lies before us". We'll get Grandpa next time.....

No comments: